Every year thousands of individuals are injured or killed in accidents on the roads and highways of our country. Of the many traffic accidents which occur annually, approximately 100,000 of them involve pedestrians. Pedestrians are among the most vulnerable of accident victims.
A detailed analysis of the age, gender, and location of pedestrian crash victims is obtainable from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Some of the key statistics for Florida are included below:
- 69 percent of pedestrian killed in 2009 were males.
- Almost three out of every four pedestrian fatalities occur in urban areas (72 percent).
- The top four states for pedestrian fatalities are California, Florida, Texas, and New York. These four states make up 41 percent of pedestrian fatalities nationwide while only accounting for 5 percent of the total traffic fatalities across the country.
- According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, in 2012, there were 8,258 pedestrian automobile related crashes in Florida. Of those accidents, 7,413 pedestrian resulted injured and 473 proved fatal.
If you are injured, or lose a loved one in a pedestrian accident, the advice and knowledge of an attorney like Mr. Izquierdo is invaluable in safeguarding your rights. Mr. Izquierdo works closely with physicians, nurses and hospitals to determine the extent of your injuries. At The Izquierdo Law Firm our goal is to obtain a judgment that adequately compensates you.
What to do after a Pedestrian Accident
- Make sure you and those around you are safe.
- Do not attempt to talk with the other party regarding fault or apologies.
- Contact the local police department and report the pedestrian auto accident.
- Never argue with other drivers regarding fault.
- Don’t be shy: if there are witnesses who can testify on your behalf asked them for their contact information.
- Take Pictures and take notes as much as possible including street lights, street address.
- Be Careful Who You Talk To
- Never automatically accept the first estimate or offer you get
- Find an Attorney to Represent You – A pedestrian injury attorney will protect your right to compensation and may be able to substantially increase the amount of compensation you receive for your damages and injuries.
If you or someone you love has been the victim of a pedestrian accident and to arrange a free initial consultation to further discuss how we can help you through this difficult time, please contact Miami Personal Injury Lawyer / Hialeah Car Accident Lawyer Alexis Izquierdo at our Florida office today at (305) 985-7800. Se Habla Español / Spanish language services available.
Get your questions answered - call me for your free, 20 min phone consultation (305) 985-7800